Monday, March 12, 2007

Fred Dalton Thompson for President

Fred Thompson is what the GOP field has been missing. It seems the two-plus years since his senate term ended have refreshed him, enough so that he is talking about running.

I am not enamored by most of the current crop - the McCains and Romneys of the world. I could perhaps live with Guiliani, but he would not be a first choice. I could vote for Newt, but he carries baggage that would prevent him getting the nomination. I cannot see myself ever voting for John McCain in the primary. I would grudgingly support them in the general election over the likes of Hillary, Obama or Edwards, but I would not be happy about it.

Fred Thompson is a different story. He is a conservative, and he is a communicator. In many ways, he is the closest thing we have to Reagan's abilities today. Sure he is an actor, and has played many famous roles, including currently as the DA on NBC's Law & Order, but he is also a Lawyer by trade.

Yesterday's appearance on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace exemplified his on-camera presence. He makes no secret where he stands - pro-life, anti-Roe, pro-Iraq war, pro-America.

I would support Fred Dalton Thompson for President. And I could vote FOR him.
EDIT: Redstate commentary suggesting a draft Fred Thompson movement can be found here.

No comments: